INVEST in HOPE was a massive success in 2021. Through the concerted efforts of 80 participants, over multiple fundraising channels, we were able to raise more than any other year.
The Northern California PGA Foundation would like to thank everyone who was involved with making INVEST in HOPE 2021 an inspirational and successful event. Throughout the course, golfers came across 18 PGA HOPE Veteran graduates who graciously volunteered their time in support of a program that has positively impacted their lives. Their stories and efforts set the tone for the entire event. Golfers tee’d off on the challenging Falls Course layout at Blackhawk CC playing a shamble format, which was followed up by a music-infused cocktail hour, a taste bud activating Winemaker’s dinner, and exhilarating fundraising effort.
INVEST in HOPE is an amazing vehicle to raise awareness of what PGA HOPE is and funds to support all Veterans who wish participate in various HOPE programs facilitated by the NCPGA Foundation. Each year we continue to outdo the year prior, and the 2021 edition of INVEST in HOPE was no exception! To start off the donation portion of the evening, we had an extremely successful and spirited paddle raise, followed by a rousing live auction where attendees were able to bid on some unique experiences. Without a doubt, the highlight of the fundraising efforts was the “Last Donor Standing”. We had two (2) round trip tickets on JSX, a private airline which travels to select desired locations, up for grabs. From any vantage point in the room, you experienced that electricity which had some people ejecting from their seats to congratulate the winners!
We also would like to extend a special thanks to Blackhawk Country Club, their hardworking staff, and its highly involved membership, thank you for being such an amazing host. Lastly, a round of applause to the surrounding community and organizations who assisted in creating a space for everyone to come together for the betterment of PGA HOPE in Northern California. We hope to see you all at the 2022 edition of INVEST in HOPE.
NCPGA Foundation - Sheri Sam, NCPGA FDN Managing Director
Tim Burr, PGA, NCPGA FDN President
Len Dumas, PGA, NCPGA FDN Co-Chairman
Suzy Schneider, NCPGA FDN Programs Manager
Max Hecker, NCPGA Section Director of Operations
Joe Jackson, PGA WORKS Fellow
To Register for INVEST IN HOPE - CLICK HERE.
THANK YOU TO OUR FANTASTIC SPONSORS!
- Over 3.5 million veterans have some form of service connected disability.
- It is a fact that suicide is a major issue among military veterans, with recent statistical studies showing that 22 veterans a day commit suicide. PGA HOPE is working to change this statistic.
- Participants of PGA HOPE programs include military veterans living with physical or cognitive challenges such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and amputees, among other challenges.
“I am a therapist at the San Francisco VA Medical Center where I work with Veterans who have substance abuse and mental health issues. The Veterans that I work with have benefitted from PGA HOPE because they are learning a new healthy skill that helps them get outdoors and not isolating or being in unhealthy environments. While playing golf they are able to focus on something other than issues related to their military experience or problems that come up in their everyday lives.”
— Bill, VA Therapist/Navy & Marine Corp.
Our Program: PGA HOPE
PGA HOPE (Helping Our Patriots Everywhere), the flagship program of the NCPGA Foundation, is a year-round golf program offered as a therapeutic rehabilitation tool for all military veterans. The lifetime sport of golf has proven to be an excellent outlet for activity and competition but also allows veterans to assimilate back into their community through the social interaction the game provides. PGA HOPE programming is offered at NO COST for military veterans. We provide a safe environment and community for veterans, getting them outdoors exercising, focusing their energy on something challenging but therapeutic, and engaging them with other veterans in a supportive and structured environment. PGA HOPE is the only golf program for veterans taught by PGA Professionals who are specially trained in adaptive sports instruction.
- Eleven PGA HOPE locations: Presidio GC (San Francisco, Calif.), Metropolitan GC (Oakland, Calif.), Cypress Lakes GC (Vacaville, Calif.), Haggin Oaks GC (Sacramento, Calif.), Sierra Sage GC (Reno, Nev.), Baylands Golf Links (Palo Alto, Calif.), Pleasanton (Calif.) Golf Center, Diablo Creek GC (Concord, Calif.), Bayonet & Black Horse GC (Seaside, Calif.), Swenson Park GC (Stockton, Calif.), and Mariners Point GC (Foster City, Calif.)
- Two (2) six-week clinics at each location annually, with PGA HOPE Leagues launched to provide ongoing support.
- 30 veterans per clinic/site with a 5:1 ratio of veterans to PGA Professional, ensures all veterans receive individual attention and support.
- Since 2015, over 1,200 veterans in Northern California have been impacted by PGA HOPE programming.
- So many more to serve … there are more than 377,000 veterans in Northern California receiving medical and mental health services at V.A. Hospitals, clinics and centers.
Our Partner, the U.S. Veterans Administration
PGA HOPE has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Department of Veterans Affairs, which enables recreational therapists to refer veterans to the PGA HOPE program as a form of therapy – using golf as an activity to assist veterans with their progress in rehab along with helping them to assimilate and mainstream with their families, their communities, and life.