Who would have imagined in a pandemic year that the 4th Annual Invest in HOPE Charity Tournament held Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at Blackhawk Country Club would have been a record breaking year? We cannot thank enough all of the participants that came out to support PGA HOPE and enjoy a beautiful day on the golf course in a safe, socially distanced fashion, and helped us raise over $80,000!
The success of Invest in HOPE gives disabled veterans a chance to feel normal again through the game of golf with PGA HOPE.
We hope to see you out there next year!!!
THANK YOU TO OUR FANTASTIC SPONSORS!
- Over 3.5 million veterans have some form of service connected disability.
- It is a fact that suicide is a major issue among military veterans, with recent statistical studies showing that 22 veterans a day commit suicide. PGA HOPE is working to change this statistic.
- Participants of PGA HOPE programs include military veterans living with physical or cognitive challenges such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and amputees, among other challenges.
“I am a therapist at the San Francisco VA Medical Center where I work with Veterans who have substance abuse and mental health issues. The Veterans that I work with have benefitted from PGA HOPE because they are learning a new healthy skill that helps them get outdoors and not isolating or being in unhealthy environments. While playing golf they are able to focus on something other than issues related to their military experience or problems that come up in their everyday lives.”
— Bill, VA Therapist/Navy & Marine Corp.
Our Program: PGA HOPE
PGA HOPE (Helping Our Patriots Everywhere), the flagship program of the NCPGA Foundation, is a year-round golf program offered as a therapeutic rehabilitation tool for all military veterans. The lifetime sport of golf has proven to be an excellent outlet for activity and competition but also allows veterans to assimilate back into their community through the social interaction the game provides. PGA HOPE programming is offered at NO COST for military veterans. We provide a safe environment and community for veterans, getting them outdoors exercising, focusing their energy on something challenging but therapeutic, and engaging them with other veterans in a supportive and structured environment. PGA HOPE is the only golf program for veterans taught by PGA Professionals who are specially trained in adaptive sports instruction.
- Ten PGA HOPE locations: Presidio GC (San Francisco, Calif.), Metropolitan GC (Oakland, Calif.), Cypress Lakes GC (Vacaville, Calif.), Haggin Oaks GC (Sacramento, Calif.), Sierra Sage GC (Reno, Nev.), Baylands Golf Links (Palo Alto, Calif.), Pleasanton (Calif.) Golf Center, Diablo Creek GC (Concord, Calif.), Bayonet & Black Horse GC (Seaside, Calif.), Swenson Park GC (Stockton, Calif.)
- Two (2) six-week clinics at each location annually, with PGA HOPE Leagues launched to provide ongoing support.
- 30 veterans per clinic/site with a 5:1 ratio of veterans to PGA Professional, ensures all veterans receive individual attention and support.
- Since 2015, over 1,000 veterans in Northern California have been impacted by PGA HOPE programming.
- So many more to serve … there are more than 377,000 veterans in Northern California receiving medical and mental health services at V.A. Hospitals, clinics and centers.
Our Partner, the U.S. Veterans Administration
PGA HOPE has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Department of Veterans Affairs, which enables recreational therapists to refer veterans to the PGA HOPE program as a form of therapy – using golf as an activity to assist veterans with their progress in rehab along with helping them to assimilate and mainstream with their families, their communities, and life.